The May 14, 2020 Downtown Development Authority Meeting will be held online via Zoom video conference. Information on joining the meeting is found in the agenda below.
CITY OF BESSEMER
DOWNTOWN DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY
Regular meeting of the City of Bessemer Downtown Development Authority to be held in the DDA office, City Hall, on Thursday, May 14th, 2020, at 4:00 p.m.
Due to the Coronavirus and the CDC’s recommendation to limit groups over 10 people, the City of Bessemer will have a virtual meeting.
• All residents may call in and/ or email questions, complaints, and comments to Charly.firstname.lastname@example.org.
• If you have any issues with attending the meeting virtually due to ADA difficulties, please contact Jim Trudgeon at email@example.com or 906-667-0333 48 hours before the meeting. Individuals can call 711 for relay support.
• You have the right to participate in a meeting of a public body held electronically includes the right to tape-record, to videotape, to broadcast live on radio, and to telecast live on television the proceedings of the public body at a public meeting. The exercise of this right does not depend on the prior approval of the public body. However, a public body may establish reasonable rules and regulations to minimize the possibility of disrupting the meeting.
• A public body may not require a person as a condition of participating in a meeting of the public body held electronically to register or otherwise provide his or her name or other information or otherwise to fulfill a condition precedent to attendance, other than mechanisms necessary to permit the person to participate in a public comment period of the meeting.
• A person must be permitted to address a meeting of a public body held electronically under rules established and recorded by the public body. A person must not be excluded from a meeting held electronically otherwise open to the public except for a breach of the peace actually committed during the meeting.
• During a meeting of a public body held electronically, members of the public body are urged to take all votes by roll call to avoid any questions about how each member of the public body votes.
• If a public body holding a meeting electronically directly or indirectly maintains an official internet presence, the public body is encouraged to make available to the general public through the public body’s website homepage an agenda and other materials relating to the meeting.
• Members of the general public otherwise participating in a meeting of a public body held electronically may be excluded from participation in a closed session of the public body held electronically during that meeting if the closed session is convened and held in compliance with the requirements of the OMA applicable to a closed session.
Please click the link below to join the webinar:
Or iPhone one-tap :
US: +13126266799,,88065421844# or +16468769923,,88065421844#
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
US: +1 312 626 6799 or +1 646 876 9923 or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 408 638 0968 or +1 669 900 6833 or 877 853 5257 (Toll Free) or 888 475 4499 (Toll Free)
Webinar ID: 880 6542 1844
International numbers available: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kcyX2vKq0n
CALL TO ORDER
BOARD MEMBERS: Zak, Osier, Whitburn, Leskoviansky, Filippini, Bjorkquist, Olsen, Meinke
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
3) Capital Improvement Plan/ General Discussion of how to prioritize funding
B) Pop Up’s
C) 2021 Project
E) Banners/ hardware
4) Pop Up Shop Funding
A) Range Medical Massage
B) Round 2 Salon
5) Façade Funding (none)
Wayfinding on US-2 MDOT agreed to put 2 signs indicating downtown in return for removing blinking light Charly
Broadband in Downtown Am waiting for quotes Charly
Marketing Grant Opportunity Do we want to continue this? Honestly, I feel that right now most of my job is social media.
Co-working Spaces Downtown/ Expanding PopUp Shop Program library grant is canceled
Parking Lot Kevin Kimball is concerned about splitting up parcel but open to a discussion. Our assessor values downtown land at $45/ linear foot. The parking lot is about 60’x180’ so 60’*$45 = $2,700. This is for the whole lot and doesn’t include asphalt.
Ethnic Commons access Done, needs restoration. Contacted Durkee. Everything has been on pause with virus
Welcome Signs Doug Kikkebusch is requesting an extension and $3,500 in additional funds up front due to the virus. He intends to join us on the call.
Meetings for state requirements
2021 Project Discuss if we want stamped concrete in bulbouts at corners. Stamped concrete between road and sidewalk isn’t likely unless we pay for it ourselves. The south most block of Sophie St has been removed from the project scope. Do we want to explore restoration or other grant funding for this? Should we look at redoing the electrical for the lights during this time.
Hotel Project I have had a couple of developers potentially interested. They may be coming forward to ask for TIF assistance. This has been on pause during the virus
Banners The School is putting up banners for graduating seniors. They have requested that we replace the broken hardware. If we are intending to replace our old banners, we would need to do this anyway.
6) Historical Society Lease
7) 2020/21 budget
8) Public comment
ADJOURN Next Meeting: Thursday, June 11th at 4:00. Will be video conference again.